40 years of Smart Mining
AMC Consultants (AMC) is 40 years young this year! From small beginnings, we have grown to become a global resource industry consulting company after helping more than 1,800 clients complete more than 10,000 projects. AMC exists to support miners find smarter ways to unearth hidden business value in their new and existing projects. This is largely achieved through our ability to evaluate mining opportunities, solve hidden productivity challenges, and improve performance across the mining cycle while our SmartData™ system, built by mining professionals over the last 20 years, underpins everything.
AMC’s history is quite colourful – in 1983, the company was established as James Askew Associates. In its grassroots form, the partnership was operating out of the front bedroom of a Melbourne home. By 1985, an office was opened in Perth – where feasibility studies for new mines in Australia, New Zealand in Europe were completed to support the expanding resources industry in Western Australia. In the 90’s, the consultancy’s expansion sped up with offices opening in Brisbane in 1994 and the UK in 1999. By 2003, the consultancy had changed its name to AMC Consultants to reflect the company’s global focus, and by 2011, three more offices were opened – in Vancouver, Toronto, and Adelaide. AMC became even more global in 2015 as it saw an office open in Singapore.
With our expansion to Singapore, Brian Gordon – Director, Singapore Mining Club, commented on AMC’s work as providing a “level of reassurance” and “a very high standard” which are “important for public equities” in South East Asia. AMC was described as “consummate professionals” in recognition of the superior work ethic that has helped us achieve our reputation for excellence and reliability in the resources industry.
In recent months, AMC has continued trotting around the globe establishing new connections and strengthening old ones. We attended AME Roundup 2023 in Canada, the International Congress and Exhibition: Mining of Uzbekistan and Central Asia, Mining in Turkey, Mines and Money 2022 in London and IMARC 2022 in Australia. 2023 will see similar activities to support our clients around the globe – small and large.
Several of our conferences in 2022 featured celebrations for the launch of AMC Hill of Value® trademark in Australia. This trademark is a significant step towards recognizing the uniqueness of the process conceived by AMC Mining Engineer and global strategy optimization expert, Brian Hall, and further developed by the consultancy’s Strategy Optimization team.
AMC Hill of Value® joins the stable of AMC tools with Trademarks, including 10x Performance Diagnostics® and Predictive Geometallurgy®. More details on how these tools can help you will be featured in more detail in future blog posts on this website.
AMC enjoys engaging in a public dialogue within our industry. Whilst in attendance at several events, our experts have provided insight into key changes within the industry, as well as shared research and studies to reinforce the current conversation taking around the globe around the mining industry. These opportunities have included:
- Live Q&A with AMC on productivity and costs at CIM Conference 2022. During this discussion, AMC’s expert panellists Tony Grice, Kingsley Hortin, and David Vink joined Mark Chesher at the CIM Conference to discuss factors affecting productivity performance and operating costs in the mining sector.
- Andrew Hall’s keynote presentation at IMARC 2022 concerning the performance of mines during a time of squeezed margins and high operating costs.
- Ian Lipton’s paper presentation on the journey from Mineral Resources to Mineral/Ore Reserves for the NORI D polymetallic undersea nodule project.
Whether you need mining, geology, geotechnical advice, or advisory services – AMC is here to support your endeavours. In recent months, our experts have compiled several articles to share our knowledge and the latest in AMC’s research projects. These insights help provide informed and applied insights, observations, and opinions around the current scene of the mining industry. Please use the links below to explore some of our research:
- Closing the performance gap – At the same time as production in the Australian mining industry is rising at an even faster rate, production costs are rising, leaving an ever-widening productivity gap.
- The Treasure Below – Although we have known about vast deposits of polymetallic nodules on the sea floor for nearly 150 years, their exploitation has only recently advanced to a realistic feasibility stage.
- Geopolitics and the supply and demand of battery materials – In part two of a short series exploring the impact of the war in Ukraine and wider geopolitical challenges on commodity markets, Mark Chesher, Executive Leader Business Development, and Rob Chesher, BD Technical Manager, of AMC Consultants (AMC), consider the ramifications on the supply and demand for battery materials.
Want to discover more? AMC provides a 15-minute discover session with our Singapore-base Mining Engineer and Executive Lead – Business Development. No cost, no obligation. Just a 15-minute informal meeting to confidentially discuss your mining needs, challenges, and opportunities. So, book a meeting today and discover how AMC can help you deliver for your stakeholders. Contact us today, or explore our website for more information.